Senior Human Factors Specialist
The RSSB Human Factors team is made up of psychologists and ergonomists who work to support the rail industry by providing expertise through technical input to research, the development of Railway Group Standards, National publications, and support for the development of new systems such as ERTMS and GSM-R. Moreover, the Human Factors team acts as a resource for the railway industry by helping companies to deal with their own Human Factors issues, providing bespoke advice, support, training and guidance where required. You will be involved across the full breadth of the human factors discipline and be accountable for producing human factors deliverables and reporting on the progress of your work.
- Support the Head of Human Factors in implementing our Human Factors strategy by providing technical Human Factors input to internal and external projects, including scoping, planning and leading the delivery of: research, standards, rules, national publications, commercial training and other industry support initiatives as directed by the Head of Human Factors.
- Ensure, where appropriate, that industry agreed processes have been adhered to, as defined within the RSSB Business Management System (BMS).
- Ensure all products and services provided or supported by you are planned and delivered, within the agreed timescales, to budget and to a high level of quality.
- Maintaining a high level of quality with regard to the products and services you deliver.
- Provide objective technical input, advice and quality checking as required, and ensure the work satisfies the expectations of the recipient in terms of scope, technical quality and timely delivery.
- Ensure that the level of quality review necessary for all work you are responsible for has been considered, documented and planned.
- Support the project management team in ensuring project risks are anticipated, recorded, reviewed and mitigated through robust management and appropriate interventions and that any emerging issues are escalated to your line manager or the Head of Human Factors as necessary.
- Ensure all requests for advice and/or clarification are carefully considered and responded to objectively and in sufficient detail to satisfy the originator’s enquiry and where appropriate input from the Lead/Principal Human Factors Specialist or the Head of Human Factors is sought.
- Experience in a human factors role in a relevant safety critical industry, with some experience of working within the rail sector an advantage.
- Qualified in occupational psychology or Human Factors/Ergonomics to MSc level or with the equivalent industry experience.
- Working towards becoming a registered or chartered member of the British Psychological Society or Chartered Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors.
- Experience developing, scoping and delivering human factors projects
- Keen desire to develop their expertise in the area of human factors
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to influence and negotiate effectively.
- Ability to manage stakeholders at all levels and across multiple disciplines.
- Able to work on own initiative as well as part of a team.
- A commitment to RSSB’s values and customer service is also essential to the role.
- An individual who shows evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of problems and issues.
- Ability to research, synthesise ideas and present these in a way that is understood and accepted by our internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience delivering training.
- Early applications are encouraged, as we may close this vacancy before the advertised deadline if sufficient numbers of applications are received.