Applications are invited for an exciting opportunity as an Associate Professor in Clinical Psychology (Ref. No.: BPSAPCPSY) at James Cook University, Singapore. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city and to contribute to the development of clinical psychology in Singapore and the region more generally.
Established in 2003, the Singapore campus of James Cook University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs from James Cook University Australia. James Cook University Australia is recognized internationally as a leading research university and is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world (ARWU ranking). The Singapore campus is the second largest of the three main campuses of JCU, which include Townsville and Cairns. The Academic Group in Psychology at JCU Singapore offers APAC (Australian Psychological Accreditation Council) accredited Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours), Master of Psychology (Clinical) and Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Psychology) degrees. Please visit http://www.jcu.edu.sg or http://www.jcu.edu.au for more information.
The clinical psychology program is well respected in Singapore and has excellent links with placement providers and with the Singapore Psychological Society. The students are, in the main, Singaporean and the annual intake into the Master of Psychology program is around 20 students, with an additional 5 into the Doctor of Psychology program. The orientation of the program is mainly towards CBT, but other approaches are discussed. The program is the same as that offered at JCU in Australia (which is true of all the programs offered here) and there are good relationships and links with clinical psychology staff based in Australia. At present, there are 22 full time staff servicing the program and an additional 11 sessional staff who assist with student supervision.
We are looking for an experienced clinical psychology academic who can add to our existing strength in the area, someone who will contribute strongly to our research and someone who will take on a leadership role. The research outputs in the discipline are quite strong and there is good support available for establishing a research program. The person we are seeking is someone who will make a difference to what we do.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region.
- Provide clinical supervision for intern clinical psychologists undertaking their internal placement at the Psychology Clinic or in external agencies
- Make a contribution to the Academic Group in Psychology through teaching
- Provide research supervision for fourth-year students and Clinical Master and Doctoral students
- Maintain a high level of professional activities including an active research program
- Undertake a leadership role within the discipline and more broadly in the campus
Key Selection Criteria:
- Doctoral level qualification in (Clinical) Psychology followed by minimum two years clinical experience
- Registration with the Psychology Board of Australia, evidenced by current registration or previous registration in Australia.
- Evidence of quality teaching and clinical supervision of students in psychology at the undergraduate and /or postgraduate level
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Research skills in quantitative or qualitative methods and a track record of publications in a clinical field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Membership (or eligibility for membership) of the Australian Psychological Society (APS) and membership (or eligibility for membership) of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists
Enquiries: Dr Denise Dillon, Head of Academic Group – Psychology & Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone number: +65 67093730
Employment type: Fulltime continuing position subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and a probationary period
Remuneration and conditions: An attractive package will be negotiated with the successful applicant (including relocation expenses and initial accommodation costs) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note the relatively lower taxation rates in Singapore and the possibility of an annual wage supplement equal to a month’s salary at the end of the calendar year.
Method of Application
Applications should provide all of the following:
- an up-to-date CV including research record
- a full statement of qualifications
- a statement systematically addressing the Selection Criteria
- a teaching profile and recent teaching evaluations
- a completed Summary Application Form
Please state the position and reference number you are applying for in subject header and send your application to email@example.com
Closing Date: 4 December 2016
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia. The University offers Bachelor & Master Programs in Business, Psychology, Information Technology & Education at the Singapore campus of James Cook University.