Are you an influential leader, passionate about people and their health, wellbeing and performance? Are you able to deliver and develop SOAS-wide strategies, policies and practices in relation to student and staff wellbeing? Then this could be the role for you….
Working alongside our new Director, Professor Adam Habib, you will be joining at an exciting time and having the responsibility of managing a budget of approximately £1m.
About the Role
The Head of Advice and Wellbeing leads the Student Advice and Wellbeing team, which includes Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing, Disability Services, Housing, Immigration and Finance Advice. The team also liaises with external providers of health, faith and medical support in the local community, as well as with other SOAS professional services, academic departments and the SOAS Students’ Union.
As part of the recent creation of the People Services Directorate, bringing Advice and Wellbeing alongside the Careers Services and Human Resources team, you will also have oversight of staff wellbeing.
You will have a commitment to successfully managing student advice and wellbeing services in a further or higher education setting and as a practitioner in at least one of the professional areas within the Student Advice and Wellbeing team
You will need to demonstrate:
- Successfully managing advice and wellbeing services in a higher education or other organisation
- A professional qualification in counselling, clinical psychology, social work, mental health nursing or another relevant area
- Significant experience of managing an effective team, including specialist areas and practitioners, setting clear expectations, supporting development, empowering team members and promoting a diverse and inclusive working environment
- A proven track record of designing or improving services in response to stakeholder and sector needs, including working effectively with outside organisation to deliver services to client.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to build effective working relationships and influence a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, including working effectively with students, academics and external agencies
- The ability to work effectively and remain calm under pressure, including meeting deadlines, assessing situations quickly and making timely decisions to manage risk and safeguard individuals
Further information can be found in the Job Description and Person Specification, along with a full list of duties and responsibilities.
We are SOAS University of London; the leading Higher Education institution in Europe specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the near and Middle East.
In return we offer 30 days holiday plus bank holidays and additional School closure days; a generous employer pension contribution; a number of loan schemes including season ticket and IT equipment; Cycle to Work Scheme; enhanced Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Pay provisions, childcare voucher scheme and financial support for childcare
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please complete the short online application form and submit your CV via the SOAS website. You can find further information in the Job Description and Person Specification, along with a full list of duties and responsibilities. .
Closing date: Sunday, 21st February 2021
Completed applications must be received by 23:59 on the closing date of to be considered.
Interviews will provisionally be held: Thursday, 4th March 2021
SOAS is currently in the process of restructuring in response to Covid-19 and will give priority to redeploying existing staff into new posts where appropriate
If you have any questions or require any assistance with regard to the application process, please contact email@example.com
For information on how and why SOAS processes personal data about its job applicants, please read our Job Applicant Notice
At SOAS we celebrate diversity and promote equality and inclusion amongst our staff and students. As such, we welcome applications from all, regardless of personal characteristics or background.