Britain has some of the safest roads in the world for which driver licensing plays a vital role. Every motorist must meet the required medical standards for fitness to drive, and that’s where the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) come in. We actively work with Medical Advisory Panels to set the medical standards and shape policy and guidelines for 47 million driving licence holders.
With several high profile honorary vacancies for both Panel Members and Chairs, we are seeking to appoint skilled GMC registered Consultants who have an outstanding record of achievement, personal credibility and senior level experience within the specialisms outlined below.
As an honorary panel member we would like you to commit to a minimum of four days of work per year (two days for panel meetings and 2 days for meeting preparation), for panel Chairs this commitment will be a minimum of 6 days per year.
To assist you we offer an induction programme (with one day in Swansea) and reimbursement for expenses. You’ll need to have excellent written and verbal communication skills and if you are applying for the Chair roles, it would be advantageous that you have experience of working as a panel member but not essential.
This unique opportunity will provide you with a set of fascinating challenges which will widen your professional development in the field of setting driving standards and shaping policy, whilst working with some of the foremost experts in their field.
Details of the Panels and the Consultants we would like to appoint are:
Driving and Disorders of the Cardiovascular System:
- Chair of Panel – Consultant Cardiologist with an awareness of and interest in traffic medicine
- Consultant in Cardiovascular Imaging
- Consultant in Electrophysiology: Pacing & Arrhythmia
Driving and Disorders of the Nervous System:
- Consultant in Neurological Rehabilitation Medicine
- Consultant Neuro-oncologist
- Consultant in Chronic Neurological Disorders
Driving and Alcohol, Drugs and Substance Misuse:
- Consultant in Addiction Psychiatry
- Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist
- Consultant General Psychiatrist
- Consultant Forensic Toxicologist
- Consultant Neuropsychologist
Driving and Diabetes Mellitus:
- Chair of panel – Consultant Diabetologist
- Consultant Physician with expertise in Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems (CGMS)
- Consultant Physician with expertise in Hypoglycemic Awareness
Driving and Visual Disorders:
- Consultant in Learning Disabilities
Closing date for applicants is Midnight on Sunday 10th December 2017, with interviews taking place during January 2018. Successful candidates will be required to be available for the first Panel Meetings in March 2018.
For further information on how to apply please follow the link below.