Job Title: Psychological Wellbeing Advisor
Reports to: Psychological Wellbeing Team Manager
Based at: Help for Heroes, Tedworth House, Tidworth, Wiltshire, SP9 7AJ
To work as part of a team providing psychological wellbeing support to our beneficiaries, including Veteran residents, day visitors and their families. The team employ a range of non-clinical therapeutic activities to promote psychological wellbeing with an emphasis on promoting mindfulness. Responsibilities range from the safeguarding screening of applicants, routine monitoring and psychological wellbeing support through to arranging crisis interventions.
- Assess the psychological health and wellbeing issues of veterans, carers and families and agree Psychological Wellbeing Support Programme with relevant MH providers.
- Support individuals (and their families or carers) to help them understand and manage their symptoms.
- Manage referrals to appropriate specialist providers in the area.
- Advocate on behalf of vulnerable individuals.
- To make safeguarding operational decisions in the absence of the manager within parameters agreed with the Centre Manager and PRU personnel.
- Assess, manage and resolve enquiries, issues and complaints to ensure first time resolution, unless further investigation is required.
- To exercise sound judgement and take decisions within established procedures.
- To conduct Psychological Wellbeing Risk Assessments both prior to and upon admission to ensure Veteran residents are appropriately supported during their residency through liaison with appropriate Clinical Teams to mitigate risk.
- Assess Post Traumatic Stress and Mental Health issues and implications for the individual and their family/carers.
- Offer one-to-one support (face to face, over the telephone or via correspondence).
- To provide front line Psychological Wellbeing support to Veteran residents, carers and families in person, via email and telephone.
- Liaise with holistic therapy providers to assist with delivery of the Therapeutic Support Programme.
- To provide out of hours duty Psychological Wellbeing support.
- To provide professional supervision, support and mentoring to staff to prevent vicarious trauma and risk of burn out.
- To devise and deliver workshops/therapeutic support programs to educate and support residents, carers and families, and staff.
- To act as SME to the THRC management to enable them to evaluate service delivery provision and make safe-guarding decisions.
- To coordinate and evaluate other Therapeutic interventions and programs and promote as appropriate.
- Liaise with Military and NHS Mental Health Service Providers to refer and sign post to external agencies and other service providers as necessary.
- To act as Therapeutic Mentor on Battle Back, Rolling Recovery Programme and other activities where appropriate.
- To attend weekly THRC meetings to act as SME to team and advocate on behalf of resident as appropriate.
- To manage case load to required standards; including attendance on case conferences and meetings, reporting on subsequent progress.
- Provide appropriate handover at the end of each period of work.
- Build successful internal and external working relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
- First time resolution of enquiries and complaints whenever possible.
- Maintain appropriate records in accordance with THRC procedures to ensure compliance with data protection protocols.
- Any other reasonable duties as required.
- BACP or equivalent qualified Integrative Counsellor
- GCSE English – Grade C or above.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience and knowledge of working with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Mental Health.
- Ability to assess Psychological Health issues.
- Understanding of the military ethos and community.
- Knowledge and experience of Military and NHS mental health service provision and agencies, including referral procedures.
- Advocacy skills.
- Case management and supervision.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Experience of Holistic and Complimentary Therapies
- Full driving licence.
Key Competencies & Behaviours
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport with quickly and to understand needs, wants and expectations.
- Displays a positive, empathetic, patient, polite and friendly manner.
- Manage challenging situations in a calm and appropriate manner.
- Displays the highest levels of integrity, confidentiality and commitment.
- Respond quickly to changing demands and demonstrate strong skills in prioritisation and time management.
- Work collaboratively within a range of environments and working cultures, adapting personal style accordingly.
- Lead and drive work forward with minimal direction.
- Analyse information quickly and communicate in a concise and articulate manner.
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise under pressure.
- Demonstrates an ability to work as part of a team and be a flexible team player.
- Demonstrates self-motivation.
- Flexible re. hours of work – available to provide out-of-hours cover.