RSSB is an expert body that helps the rail industry collaborate to continuously improve and meet future challenges. It spans the whole railway, including in its membership infrastructure companies, train and freight operators, rolling stock owners and suppliers to the industry. RSSB supports rail in the areas of safety, standards, knowledge, innovation and a wide range of cross-industry schemes.
The RSSB Human Factors team work to support the rail industry by providing expertise through technical input to research, the development of Railway Group Standards, National publications, supporting formal inquiries and support for the development of new systems such as ERTMS and GSM-R. Moreover, the Human Factors team acts as a resource for the railway industry by helping companies to deal with their own Human Factors issues, providing bespoke training where required.
The Senior Human Factors Specialist is accountable for producing human factors deliverables and reporting on the progress of their work in accordance with the departmental reporting cycle and programme. As well as this they are responsible for maintaining a high level of quality with regard to the products and services they deliver; this includes taking all necessary steps to reduce errors and omissions in all related outputs. The role is planned to involve support to the development and implementation of training courses for delivery to RSSB members and other groups. Experience in incident investigation or incident investigation analysis is an advantage.
- To support the Head of Human Factors in implementing the company and directorate Human Factors strategy by providing technical Human Factors input to support the rail industry as part of internal and external projects, including scoping, planning and leading the delivery of: research, standards, rules, national publications and other industry support initiatives as directed by the Professional Head of Human Factors.
- Delivery and development of training courses related to human factors.
- To ensure the quality and timely delivery of your work and management of your workload, ensuring any difficulties or issues are highlighted to your line manager and if necessary the Head of Human Factors.
- Ensuring, where appropriate, that industry agreed processes have been adhered to, as defined within the RSSB Business Management System (BMS).
- Ensuring all products and services provided or supported by you are planned and delivered, within the agreed timescales, to budget and to a high level of quality.
- Providing objective technical input, advice and quality checking as required, and ensuring the work satisfies the expectations of the recipient in terms of scope, technical quality and timely delivery.
- Ensuring that the level of quality review necessary for all work you are responsible for has been considered, documented and planned.
- Supporting the project management team in ensuring project risks are anticipated, recorded, reviewed and mitigated through robust management and appropriate interventions and that any emerging issues are escalated to your line manager or the Head of Human Factors as necessary.
- Ensuring all requests for advice and/or clarification are carefully considered and responded to objectively and in sufficient detail to satisfy the originator’s enquiry and where appropriate input from the Lead/Principal Human Factors Specialist or the Head of Human Factors is sought.
- Qualified in occupational psychology or Human Factors/ ergonomics to MSc level or with the equivalent industry experience.
- Preferably you will have 3 or more years’ experience in a human factors role in a relevant safety critical industry, with some experience of working within the rail sector.
- Working towards becoming a registered or chartered member of the British Psychological Society or Chartered Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors.
- Preferably you will have experience of designing and/or delivering training.
- An individual who can work autonomously with limited supervision.
- An individual keen to develop a broad knowledge of Human Factors topics, as well as expertise in a particular area of Human Factors.
- An individual who exhibits the ability to relate to others in a confident and relaxed manner.
- An understanding of and ability to influence, build and maintain successful relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- An individual with the ability to research, synthesise ideas and present these in a way that is understood and accepted by our internal and external stakeholders.
- A analytical thinker who has a positve approach to situations and problems, with a keen focus on delivering high quality products and sevices to our members
How to apply
To apply, please click the Apply Now button below to start your application. You can find out more about RSSB by visiting our website at www.rssb.co.uk
Closing date: 13th May 2019