Specialist Practitioner Psychologist ( Neuropsychology ) Band 8A
Location: Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
Directorate: Adult Social & Primary Care Services
Salary: Band 8A
Contract Type: Permanent
Closes: Fri, 08 November 2019 @ 4:30 PM
The post-holder will ensure the systematic provision of high-quality specialist clinical and neuropsychological services to adults (>18) with neurological disorders, and neurosurgical issues, referred by Consultant Neurologists and Neurosurgeons. Referrals to the service are accepted from within the Regional Neurosciences Services, and Belfast Health and Social Care Trust Neurosciences services. The post-holder will work as members of the Acute Adult Neuropsychology Services Team, as well as contributing to neuropsychological service sub-specialties (including Regional Movement Disorders Team, The Headache Team, The Neurology Rehab Unit, The Cognitive Assessment Clinic, The Neuro-Adjustment Psychological Therapy Clinic, and Inpatient Wards). The post-holder will be allocated general and sub-specialty roles within their job and annual contribution plans.
The post-holder will have opportunities to work across a diverse range of populations and service roles. The post-holder will be expected to work flexibly and responsively to service needs. The post-holder will have opportunity to develop their roles based professional development, experience, and preferences. Post-holder key roles will include the provision of specialist cognitive assessment services, including complex neuropsychological assessments as a component of differential diagnosis support and clinical decision making processes. In addition, provision of specialist psychotherapy interventions (individual and group) for people living with neurological conditions (such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis) form a key part the post-holder's working roles.
- Doctoral level training (or equivalent) in Clinical / Counselling psychology as accredited by the BPS and /or the Psychological Society of Ireland.
- Registration or eligibility for registration with HCPC
- Hold a current full driving license which is valid for use in the UK and have access to a car on appointment. Where disability prohibits driving, this criteria will be waived if the applicant is able to organise suitable alternative arrangements.
- Significant post-doctoral experience as follows:
- Clinical work with a clinical population, and relevant experience of neurorehabilitation OR working with adults with long-term physical health OR neuropsychiatric conditions OR intellectual disability
- Specialist psychological & neuropsychological assessment & formulation skills including postdoctoral experience of cognitive assessment.
- Experience of specialist psychological treatment of clients presenting with a full range of clinical severity, across a range of care settings including maintaining a high degree of professionalism in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems, verbal abuse and the threat of physical abuse.
- Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team/professional / agency setting
- Teaching & training psychology staff or other professionals
- Supervision experience with psychologists and/or allied health professionals
- Highly developed skills in the ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, complex, highly technical and / or clinically sensitive information to patients, their families, carers and other professional colleagues both within and outside the NHS.
- Ability to make clinical decisions around complex and emotive issues relating to people with neurological diseases and enduring mental health needs
- Ability to maintain intense concentration for complex interaction with patients
- Ability to sit in constrained positions for extended periods.
- Physical dexterity required for manipulation of psychometric assessment materials and basic keyboard skills.