Job title: Support Worker/Rehabilitation Assistant
Location: Stanmore HA7
Pay: £17 per hour
Term time – Monday to Friday – 3-7pm
School Holidays – Monday to Friday 1pm to 7pm
About the job:
- Direct employment in a permanent role
- Our client is a lovely, highly intelligent 7-year-old boy who loves chess, doing word puzzles and playing games. He lives in his family home with his Hindu, vegetarian parents and two siblings.
- Following a frontal lobe brain injury, he has difficulties with concentration, sensory processing and regulation of emotions and behaviour and needs help to express his feelings in language and interpret different situations
- He has difficulties in the areas of visual-motor integration and co-ordination which can result in messy eating/spilling drinks. His difficulties with sensory process can impact his attention and concentration and he needs help developing his gross and fine motor skills
- This post involves providing high-quality and creative care for this child. Implementation of therapy programmes and resources (training given) to develop his communication and social interaction skills. You will need to ensure the highest level of interaction and inclusion.
- As can be expected, our client can get frustrated and this can lead to challenging behaviours, you can help alleviate this by maintaining his routines, reinforced by visual timetables and following rehabilitation programmes provided by our skilled and experienced neuropsychologist.
- Light housework to ensure that the client’s environment is kept clean and tidy, is required.
- Supervision and encouragement required in bedtime routine.
- Caring and reliable and with a positive outlook
- Clearly spoken and an excellent communicator with good social skills
- Be able to work with our client at his highly intellectual level.
- You will work closely with our client’s therapy team (Speech Therapist and Psychologist) and implement the therapy programmes they have devised
- Able to build a rapport with our client to enable him to develop his skills and regulation of his emotions
- Experience of caring for children or young people is desirable
- Experience of working with children or young people with additional needs/autism is desirable but more important is your desire to work with a child with complex needs
- Respectful of working in a family home environment
- This job may be of interest to someone with a Psychology, Music or Art Therapy background
An enhanced DBS certificate is a requirement, criminal convictions may not necessarily prevent employment.
The post operates a non-smoking environment at all times